I holler about Gold Rush
There’s a pattern of reckless ineptitude that has plagued Discovery’s Gold Rush program. I’ll call it the Todd Hoffman Motif. The most recent outcome of the Hoffman Motif was in tonight’s episode when Todd’s investor said he was withholding more funds until Todd appeared to be running a gold mine… which doesn’t appear to be happening at this time (Todd’s equipment is shut down again)
Here’s my observations that led to the Todd Hoffman Motif.
1) Todd Hoffman is the most overweight person on the show.
2) Todd Hoffman (and his immediate crew) are the least productive members on the show.
3) Todd Hoffman’s equipment constantly breaks… and remains broken.
4) Rather than working, Todd Hoffman and crew are most often found waiting, waiting, and waiting on “equipment to be repaired”.
5) Todd Hoffman has a lot of gut feelings…. all of which turn out to be wrong.
6) Everyone on the show has equipment problems, but unlike Todd Hoffman, they all seem to get back up and running fast.
7) Everyone on the show is mining except Todd Hoffman.
8) Once Dave Turin broke away from Todd he has mined efficiently and produced over 200 ounces (350K) so far in Season 3.
9) As soon as Dakota Fred took over Porcupine Creek he found gold. Though his equipment breaks, he has it up and running, usually in hours.
10) Parker Schnabel wastes an insane amount of money… surpassing even Todd Hoffman in losing money. Granted, Hoffman can’t lose more because his equipment isn’t running and so he’s not burning gasoline.
In a nutshell…. Todd Hoffman is the most unproductive member on the show. The Todd Hoffman Motif is like a virus destroying everything Todd comes into contact with.